PAGES

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Longga-balls Pork Meatballs

Main or Appetizer

Longganiza is the Philippine's version of sausages.  Each region or province has its own version.  Salty spiced ones from Lucban, Baguio's sourish plump ones, slightly sweet ones from Central Luzon, etc etc etc.  Longganiza is not only served for breakfast but other times of the day too. I remember lots of classmates who brought longganiza for their packed lunch. Just as long as there's rice, fried garlicky rice even, longganiza is good to go.

I found the original recipe in page 89 of Food Magazine's Step-by-Step Cookbook (2002, first edition) given by my SIL, +Anne Bautista.  Actually, looking through my collection of recipe books, I have noticed that Anne and my mother-in-law, have given me quite a number since I got married.  I totally understand their concern :D  They were aware that their then new daughter-in-law wasn't really a kitchen mainstay.

Being not that industrious in the kitchen, I tweaked the original recipe so I can avoid the bothersome step of rolling & wrapping them.  Longga-balls are more child friendly too.  I did away with the frying process because I'm scared of frying and hate cleaning up after.  I just broiled the balls after baking.  Being partial to Vigan longganiza version, I added lots of minced garlic and brown vinegar or balsamic vinegar.  Here's the recipe, enough for 4 hungry people as a main with a little extra for breakfast:

1 kg & 750 grams of ground pork with fat (sorry, fat content is important for this recipe)
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons coarse or fine salt
1 tablespoon or more chili sauce (am now using shiracha)
1/4 cup liquid seasoning
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup brown vinegar ("sukang iloko")or balsamic vinegar
12 or more cloves of minced garlic; am not too great in finely mincing garlic and the boys hate chomping on big bits so to avoid recrimination during meal times, I use instead garlic press. Alternatively, you can use microplanes.  I just fear grating my nails or manicure so I stick to garlic press.

2 teaspoons of paprika
1 teaspoon stock powder

Process: do the prep work at least a day before serving to give time for the meat to cure
  1. in a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients
  2. mix thoroughly by hand (use plastic disposable gloves if you don't want to smell like garlic the whole day) or cooking spoon to ensure even blending of all the spices & seasonings
  3. cover tightly and refrigerate overnight; the longer the better
  4. on the day you'll serve, pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.  Line your baking sheets with parchment paper.
  5. with a small bowl of water by your side, start hand-rolling your longga-balls.  If you find the meat sticking too much to your hand, just dip working hand in  water before continuing. Space at least 1 inch between the balls.
  6. bake 15 minutes, bring out your cookie sheet, turn all the balls then bake another 10-15 minutes
  7. transfer your baked balls (and drippings!!!) to an oven-proof serving dish and right before serving, broil for 4-5 minutes. Just enough to brown the top. Similar to Vigan Longganiza, this version is really brownish.
    Right before broiling.  Both sides baked already.
    Served with steamed brown/white rice,
    sauted monggo & spinach
    and more brown vinegar for dipping.
    Consider longga-balls too as party appetizer!



No comments:

Post a Comment