PAGES

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Chicken in Oyster Sauce

Main:  Chicken Dish


This simple sounding dish actually pushed me to finally start this food blog. My husband has been describing this dish to me ever since I started cooking.  How can I cook it if his father never served it to me?  Am just dependent on how my hubby verbally illustrates it, and you do know how very limited males are in this department :-) When I served this last December and has finally passed the memory/standards of my hubby, he had a rejoinder statement which finally made me, after so many years of making excuses, to start MMK.  He said all these failed attempts could have been avoided if his father collated his recipes.  Do I want the same thing to happen to all the recipes I have honed? Gulp.
My father-in-law, Renato H. Bautista (RIP)




As award winning chef +Nadia Santini said, why reinvent
the wheel if we can all learn from tradition? A trained scientist,
Nadia learned the ropes from her mother in law, Bruna.

























Ingredients: (enough for a hungry family of four)

  • 16 pieces of chicken drummettes
  • 3/4 cup all purpose flour; season with salt, chicken stock powder & pepper; place in a plastic bag big enough to hold all the chicken pieces
  • oil for deep frying
  • 6 tablespoons oyster sauce
  • 1-2 teaspoons sriracha hot sauce
  • 3/4 c warm water
  • 3 teaspoons sesame oil
  • 4 stalks of chopped scallions


Procedure:

  1. paper towel dry the chicken pieces and place in the bag of flour mixture; shake to thoroughly coat all the parts of the chicken
  2. when the oil is hot enough, fry the chicken; set aside on paper towels to drain off the oil
  3. dissolve oyster sauce and sriracha in warm water
  4. on a wok, heat sesame oil then pour in oyster sauce mixture; heat for 2 minutes
  5. add chicken and toss to coat properly; boil then simmer covered for 15 minutes until the chicken is tender
  6. this dish keeps well; you can refrigerate so that the flavour will really seep-in
  7. when ready to serve, can re-heat in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes then sprinkle chopped scallions

We eat this with hot steaming brown rice and par-boiled or baked broccoli on the side.




No comments:

Post a Comment