PAGES

Friday, December 13, 2013

Chewy Butterscotch Bars

Desserts 

I first encountered butterscotch morsels two years ago when my husband brought home (Taiwan then)two bags from his U.S. trip. All along, my exposure and usage was limited to dark, milk and white choco chips. I didn't dare try to bake with mint choco chips I found then in Sogo, an upscale Japanese department store with a grocery catering to mostly expatriates.

Nestle Butterscotch Morsels


I immediately researched online on cookie and brownie type of recipes.  The boys (that includes my hubby) are old school so they still prefer regular choco chip cookies. But this recipe has become a relatively new family favourite.  Easy to whip up, no need to bring out the mixer.  So yummy, I always prepare two 7" X 7" tins which the family would consume in 2 days!


As I've mentioned, this recipe is enough for two 7" x 7" tins. Now that it's Christmas, I just double the recipe to make 4 tins, that simple.

1 stick butter
2 c packed brown sugar
2 t vanilla
4T milk (I use evaporated milk)
2 large eggs
2 c all purpose flour
1/4 t cayenne pepper
1/4 t instant coffee powder
1 c chopped nuts (works well with either pecan or walnuts)
3/4 c butterscotch morsels
2 t baking powder
1 t fine salt

  • pre-heat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit
  • I lightly grease the inside of the tin then place parchment paper.  I cut the paper to ensure the sides aren't too high. I go through this process to make it easier to transfer.
  • melt butter in pyrex measuring cup or small bowl for a minute
  • in a big mixing bowl, stir in brown sugar, vanilla, milk and egg
  • stir in the melted butter
  • add the dry ingredients. Mix well
  • spread on your 2 tins
  • bake about 25 minutes or until golden brown.  After 25 - 26 minutes and you do toothpick check and you still see dough sticking to it, don't be bothered.  Once golden brown, bring out of the oven already because it will definitely "harden".
  • cool 5 minutes in pan on wire rack
  • turn on a board where you can slice into bars
  • for gift-giving, I place the bars on cupcake liners to make it more visually appealing.  
  • I have mailed these out within the U.S. and the moistness is retained.  Have also prepared them 4 days before serving, still great!  Just make sure you store them in airtight containers.  Gotta munch on some now!!!!!

Chewy Butterscotch bars ready for packing & distribution

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Am so sure everybody would love it nette! Still waiting for your parents' menudo recipe. You thought I've forgotten?

      Delete